At last everything is coming together. The first sail I attached was the jib. In the picture, you can also see how I pre-laid a number of rope coils around the masts. I hope that I can secure the lines from above in such a way that they appear to connect to the rope coils.
The foresail and mainsail were attached to their respective gaffs. I realized that the brails could be run before the sails were attached to the ship, so I added those at this point.
And the foresail and mainsail are in place. There are a number of small issues, but the worst is that the foot of the foresail is long enough that it goes aft of the mainmast, but the bar that that foresail sheets attach to is forward of the mainmast. My replacement sail is the same size as the kit-supplied sail, so it is a flaw of the kit.