Here’s a shot on the Sultana looking forward. The rails at the bow are somewhat complicated. The knightheads stand proud on either side of the bowsprit. Working along the rail, there are three cleats, then the rail is broken by the cathead. After the cathead, there are seven timberheads, which are wider at the top.
Just a small update today. I produced and glued the rails at the lowest level.
The aft rails are next. Below is a picture of the Sultana with the rail stanchions marked. Middle stanchions are in pairs, and there are singles at each end. (At least, that’s what I assumed. The foremost may also be a pair, but I couldn’t see it clearly in any pictures, and I went with a single.)
With the warm months just a memory, I’m back to working on the Sultana.
There are several parts that I’m anxious about on this model. The cap rail over the transom is one. I tried to bend a wood strip for the part, but had little success. So I have tried to produce it via 3D print instead. Modeling it in Fusion 360 was also a challenge, and I ended up with something of a compromise, as can be seen below.
I started with the curve of the transom shape that I had developed previously for the laser cut transom pieces. I thickened the curve to a thickness of 1.5mm.