Various pieces were sanded using their engraved fairing lines.
Some notes on laser cutting.
The laser cutter I used is an 80 watt model. The strength of the cut is determined by two parameters: power (as a percent of maximum) and speed (in mm per second). The manual listed a recommended setting for cutting 1/8″ basswood (50% power, 15 mm/s), and a recommended setting for engraving (14% power, 350 mm/s).
I tried the engrave and it worked fine, but I was worried that the cut setting might be too strong. I was right. For 1/8″ basswood I found 50% and 50 mm/s speed to cut just through. For my 3/16″ sheet the setting I found was 50% power and 30 mm/s speed. And for the 1/32″ sheet it was 50% power and 200 mm/s speed. If I had more time I would have experimented with other power settings, but I went ahead with the settings that I knew would work.
Some test cuts shown below.
I’ve been grinning ear to ear because I finally got my pieces laser cut!
Here’s one of the sheets after cutting. (I should have taken more pictures of the laser cutter in action, but I was too focused on getting the work done.)
More design changes.
First, I was concerned because there was no surface under the counter for the end of the hull planks to sit on. So, new shapes were added there. The new pieces are highlighted in blue in the picture.
I caught an error in my design. The bow former pieces end at a level that is too high. I corrected them and now they end flush with the forecastle deck level. I hope there are no other errors that I have overlooked.