There is netting along the aft railings of the Sultana. My first thought was to use some tulle. However, the scale was wrong, and the tulle was too thin and light, barely noticeable. I tried painting the tulle to darken it and thicken the strands, but the paint failed to adhere.
It was clear that I would need to make my own netting from thread. My next attempt started by trying to form netting from individual strands of thread, which I would saturate with glue to hold them together. You can see how far I got below. It was immediately clear that I didn’t have the patience for this method, and the mesh would be uneven.
The design and 3D printing of parts continues. This time, it’s the channels. After some experimentation, I made them a little bit larger than what appears on the plans. The tabs were added as an aid in attaching them to the hull.