Sultana build log – Part 47

There is netting along the aft railings of the Sultana. My first thought was to use some tulle. However, the scale was wrong, and the tulle was too thin and light, barely noticeable. I tried painting the tulle to darken it and thicken the strands, but the paint failed to adhere.

It was clear that I would need to make my own netting from thread. My next attempt started by trying to form netting from individual strands of thread, which I would saturate with glue to hold them together. You can see how far I got below. It was immediately clear that I didn’t have the patience for this method, and the mesh would be uneven.

First attempt at creating netting

Of course, there is a 3D printed solution to every problem. I 3D printed a jig to use for forming the netting. Then glue was applied to hold it all together.

3D printed netting jig

And the netting was put on the ship. Also note the deck steps which were added around the same time.

Netting attached to aft railings

Here’s a reference photo I took which shows the netting. Mine is a little lighter in color, but acceptable.

Sample image of netting on aft railings

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. To prevent spam, URLs are forbidden in comments.