Very short log entry today. I glued the subdeck onto the bulkheads. Initially I was concerned about how I would get it lined up, but once I put the dowels for the masts in place, it was very close and only required a small adjustment to get perfectly centered.
The directions were very unclear about the precise shape of the combined pieces which will go at the stern under the transom. The directions say to file / sand a curve into the piece. In the insert on the picture below, you can see the piece as it appears on the 1:1 plans. The flat edge to the right, above the curve, measures 10mm. You can see how I tried to shape my piece to match.
The bulkheads were glued in, making sure they were square to the false keel.
Next are the two pieces which form the area at the stern under the transom. The first is the final bulkhead piece which will sit at an angle when attached, unlike the other bulkhead pieces that are vertical. I marked a line at the point where the deck will sit on this piece. Then I filed a bevel into this piece so that the deck can lay flat on it.
I am building the Virginia 1819 kit from Artesania Latina. I chose this one because it seemed like a good kit for a beginner. This first post is just a little overview and my first impressions of the kit.